Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Downward Swing

If you're trying to get your writing published, you know what I mean when I describe the emotional pendulum that describes your ever-changing moods.

I'm on the downward swing of that pendulum today. The literary magazine that was considering one of my short pieces since last October finally declined. Sorry it took so long, good luck placing it elsewhere.

No time to look for a different home for that collection of words. With the economy in its present state, I'm running faster every day, just to stay in the same place, and all I need to do is look at my day planner and the pendulum heads a bit further into negative emotional territory. Write every day, an author is often advised. Where's the time to come from?

Then there's the manuscript that has to be prepared for publication. Sorry, Newcastlewest Books. I've had to ignore you and the upgrade to the website. The sales copy for the novel won't write itself, I know, but I'm not having much luck creating something punchy and intriguing to promote the book.

Back to the trenches. One day, unexpectedly, there'll be a glimmer of good news or I'll receive the gift of free time to work on another manuscript. The pendulum will swing back, the emotions will sail higher, and the family will begin to wonder if I've gone bipolar.

No comments: