Monday, April 24, 2006

If It's Broke, Fix It

What do you do when you get a bunch of rejections on the partial manuscript? Why, compose a new query letter, change the title, and hit the naysayers again.

I dusted off an old manuscript, revised and reworked a few chapters. I cut out a couple of big sections and pasted them elsewhere, always on the lookout for that pesky backstory that, God forbid, must never turn up at the beginning. As for the query, I tried to follow Miss Snark's advice (can't make the link work to her blog of 4/24/06, but check it out) about the makings of a query letter.

A hook, a couple of sentences about the overall plot, the word count, the genre, and I'm done. There's no publishing credentials to include, so that saves a few drops of ink or a couple of retina cells. Sent four of the new and improved version off to agents who accept e-mail queries.

Do I have renewed hope? Well, the manuscript is safe, sort of. All right, yeah, the concept behind the plot is not the most commonly accepted norm, but can't an author present an alternate universe? What am I saying? Have I sent out queries for another novel that will not be marketable? Have I drifted too far afield once again?

Paula Balzer of Sarah Lazin Books rejects the partial because the fiction market is too tough and she can't sell the fiction that she's already taken on. Are we to all start writing non-fiction? Ah, but if you've no platform, no expertise or teaching post with matching Ph.D., you don't stand a chance either.

What's to be done? I need the anxiety of the waiting to keep focused on the current WIP, a bit of fiction that's the sort of story I like to read. There's no choice but to carry on. Either that, or I'll have to go back to the drinking and smoking.

No comments: